Any building is exposed to the environmental elements such as rain, humidity and pollution. Over time these elements can really damage the structure. Out of these elements moisture and rain can cause the most damage. If the outer walls of your buildings are not correctly protected, the moisture can seep in and cause mold issues and structural weaknesses as well. Let’s look at ways you can use to protect your exterior walls.
- Check the conditions of the walls: before you shop around for products to protect the walls or correct damages that have already been caused, it is important that you do a thorough check to understand what has caused the dampness in the walls. It could be rain water that is seeping in through unprotected walls or it can be a cracks or even a damaged pipeline which is to be blamed. Therefore it is important to know the underlying cause of the damage before you take corrective action.
- Select the correct medium: there are many products out there that can help you seal your building, outer walls or exposed areas against dampness; however you must select the right kind of material to do the best job. Some of the common mediums used are concrete coatings which are like cement and can be applied to any surface. Then there is waterproofing paint which is like acrylic wall paint, with added protective qualities. There are also sealers that you can use to plug potential problematic areas.
- Gutter problems: when gutters are not cleaned, they can accumulate debris and make water flow difficult. This can result in water overflowing and going down the walls and sometimes water being retained which can be absorbed by wood uses on the roof or any other areas close by which can cause serious damages. Therefore it is important to have them cleaned periodically.
- Outside pools: some houses will have swimming pools or ponds installed inside or outside the building premises. If such additions are included in your homes then it is important to use swimming pool waterproofing products Wollongongto seal the areas so that moisture does not seep in.
- Plastering: this method is used to create better appearances of the constructed buildings. They help to make the walls more solid as well. Nowadays you can find additives that you can add to the plaster to help it become more water resistant. This can prevent moisture from seeping in and damaging the walls.
These are some preventive measures you can take to protect your outer walls and the main structure of the building as well.